Room at the Inn: As part of a community-wide interfaith effort, Shaare Emeth opens its doors to homeless families on the 3rd Wednesday evening of each month. Volunteers prepare meals, eat and spend time with guests, spend the night at the temple or drive the families to and from their day site. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, e-mail David Gerst at [email protected].Congregational Mitzvah Series
Shaare Emeth sponsors a variety of ways for members to volunteer to bring a bit of light into the lives of others. Mitzvah Opportunities include delivering Meals on Wheels, helping to wrap holiday presents, cooking meals for Ronald McDonald House, working at animal shelters, playing and helping with children in homes, hospitals and shelters. Sign up for one or more of these series.
“When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap all the way to the edges of your field or gather the gleaning of your harvest... but leave them for the poor and the stranger.” Leviticus 19:9-10
High Holy Day Food Drive: Each year we collect food and money to distribute to MAZON, the St. Louis Food Bank and the Harvey Kornblum Jewish Food Pantry. Contact Robin Brody: [email protected], 314-878-6075
Harvey Kornblum Jewish Food Pantry:
• Bring food for our ongoing Food Collection: A collection bin for nonperishable food items located inside the main entrance to Shaare Emeth.
• Sign up to volunteer to work in the Food Pantry
• Volunteer to pick up pastries and breads during the week at St. Louis Bread Company and take to the Food Pantry.
Contact: Susie Horowitz: [email protected] or Stefanie Greenberg: [email protected]
Crop Walk: Walk to raise awareness and money for the hungry in St. Louis and around the world. This walk is usually held in October in coordination with the World Church Organization. Check Shaare Mail for more information.
Mitzvah Meals: Cook meals at home to bring to our members in need or to the Jewish Food Pantry. The Caring Committee is in touch with our families after a life crisis and offers to bring in a meal to this family. Be a cook or deliver the meal. To help or bring in a meal, contact Chris Bomze: 314-275-7090, [email protected] , or Brenda Baron: 314-878-4753, [email protected]
Greening/Sustainability Team: This year our congregation created a Greening Team to help teach our congregants about the importance of greening within their home, community and at Shaare Emeth.
A Tzedakah Center Team began in 2010 to oversee financial donations to local and world agencies and coordinate collections for the Tzedakah Center.
• Tzedakah Center, in the front lobby, offers a place for our congregants to give to worthy causes through our collection drives. Watch the Bulletin for upcoming drives; whether they’re for warm clothes, school supplies, holiday toys, athletic shoes, baby items, etc. Drop off all items in the bins provided in the Tzedakah Center.
• Tzedakah Boxes are located in the front lobby entrance and in front of the Stiffman Sanctuary.
Shaare Emeth is a member congregation of the Missouri Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice, the Save Darfur Coalition and Missouri Healthcare for All as well as members of the Jewish Social Action Network. Members can also speak out and write letters to our representatives to demand justice on important social, legislative, and ethical issues.