New Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association
Congregation Shaare Emeth, Congregation Temple Israel, and B'nai El Congregation
St. Louis, MO
Daniel Brodsky, Executive Director
If you have not already purchased cemetery property, now would be a great time to do so. There are so many reasons to purchase property at New Mt. Sinai Cemetery:
• it’s Congregation Shaare Emeth’s cemetery (and Shaare Emeth Members are members of the New Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association)
• 10% discounts to Shaare Emeth Members on pre-need purchases
• a portion of your purchase is donated back to Shaare Emeth
• permits burial of non-Jewish family members and cremation remains
• has the only Community Mausoleum in the St. Louis Jewish community
• listed on the National Register of Historic Places
• recognized as one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the region
So call our office, visit us online, or come by in person and see why your friends and family have chosen New Mt. Sinai for over 160 years!
Daniel Brodsky, Executive Director
In the year 1847, and some years prior thereto, there were two Jewish Congregations in the City of St. Louis, namely Emanu El Congregation (sometimes spelled Imanu El) and B'nai Brith Society. Each of these congregations purchased separate burial grounds. Emanu El Congregation purchased its burial ground on the south side of Cooper Street, just west of Pratte Avenue. The B'nai Brith Society purchased its burial ground, a one-acre tract, on Gravois Road, which tract is now a part of the New Mt. Sinai Cemetery.
It appears that, primarily due to the cholera epidemic and the resultant loss of members, the two Congregations merged in Oct.ober 1852 and formed a new Congregation in the name of B'nai El Congregation. In 1869, B'nai El Congregation and Shaare Emeth congregation, jointly, organized Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association. Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association was incorporated on Dec. 22, 1869. In 1888, Temple Israel was admitted to the Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association.
The Cemetery Association continued to purchase small tracts of land until the cemetery contained 75.30 acres. In 1988, the Association sold 16.17 acres, and in 1995, the Association sold 6.36 acres. In 1872, 43 adults and 53 children were exhumed from the cemetery on Cooper Street and re-interred in Lots 3 and 4 of Block 18 of the Mt. Sinai Cemetery, which are known as "Campspring Cemetery." The original Corporate Charter of the Mt. Sinai Cemetery Association, under the then existing law, would have expired in the year 1889, so the Cemetery Association re-incorporated under the name of NEW MT. SINAI CEMETERY ASSOCIATION and received a Perpetual Charter.
On Aug. 12, 1965, the Association contracted with Acme Marble and Granite Company for the
construction of a mausoleum containing 364 crypts and 72 niches for cremated remains. The
mausoleum was completed in May 1969.
Rabbis Julius Nodel of Congregation Shaare Emeth, Bertram Klausner of B'nai El Congregation andAlvan Rubin of Temple Israel decided upon the symbolism for the stained glass window at the rear wall. Mr. Sol Nodel (brother of Rabbi Julius Nodel), an artist of international renown, was commissioned to execute the window. The Rudy Glass Co. of York, Pennsylvania manufactured the window measuring approximately 17 feet high and 20 feet across and is composed of 30 panels, containing over 3,500 individual pieces of glass.
On Nov. 1, 1988, the Association contracted for 675 additional crypts and 320 niches in the
mausoleum. The stained glass "WINDOW OF TRUTH" was removed and placed in the rear of the new addition, thereby enhancing the beautiful center hall. It was completed in August 1990.
The building housing the office, built in 1916, was originally a rest house and luncheon spot to
accommodate the horse-drawn funerals that took an entire day. Also on the grounds are a well-kept home for the cemetery caretaker and a garage and implement building plus two large greenhouses, which all were built in 1938.
There have been 11,065 people buried in the cemetery as of Dec. 31, 2012. Besides the public
mausoleum and single graves, there are 1,441 platted family lots, 40 private mausoleums, 2 memorial mausoleums and 24 sarcophagi. The newest section of the cemetery, encompassing 5.5 acres of single graves and family lots, opened in the spring of 2008.
In December 2005, New Mt. Sinai Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the state and federal governments. It is the only Jewish cemetery in St. Louis to be accorded this honor.