Expectations and Requirements
Confirmation is a memorable experience for students who dedicate themselves to the program. In order to become confirmed, students are expected to participate in the following components of Confirmation.
Confirmation provides an opportunity for students to study elemental aspects of Judaism in a personal and meaningful way. This year we will look at the beliefs, practices, and values of being a Reform Jew in America in the 21st century.
- Confirmation Core Classes: Sunday mornings, 11:15am –12:30pm. Students must participate in the Core Confirmation class on Sunday mornings at Shaare Emeth. As part of our core class this year, students will be asked to do some reflective writing pieces both in and outside of class. If a student misses more than 2 classes (out of 9) in the first semester, or more than 2 classes (out of 10) in the second semester, s/he will be expected to complete make-up assignments.
- Yom Limmud: Sunday, November 9, time TBD. This teen centered “day of learning” sponsored by CAGE and held at Shaare Emeth this year is a requirement of all Confirmation students.
- L’taken Seminar in Washington, DC: Friday, February 6, 2015 – Monday,February 9, 2015. This weekend is a significant part of the Confirmation program. Students are expected to attend as part of the requirements for being confirmed. If your teens cannot attend this trip, they must make other arrangements with Rabbi Goldstein as soon as possible. Make up work will be required.
Confirmation is one of the few Jewish life cycle events that is experienced as a community. Fostering that sense of community is a central part of what makes the Confirmation experience so wonderful. The following are community building activities, centered around Jewish rituals and values, in which students are expected to participate.
- Confirmation Orientation: Sunday, September 14, 11:15am-12:30pm
- Simchat Torah and Consecration Services:
Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 5:45-7:30pm
Help the youngest members of our congregation as they experience their first communal life cycle event. Participate in the service and celebrate with the community.
- Confirmation Class Social Justice Experiences:
Sundays, November 23, 2014 & April 26, 2015 - times TBD
Students are expected to participate in these social justice projects at Shaare Emeth and in the community.